Join the CQ team
Brewery Staff - Brewer
Cleophus Quealy Beer Company is a small craft brewery in San Leandro, CA with a focus on mixed fermentation, barrel-aged, fruit, and experimental beers. We currently produce about 500 bbls per year from our 7 bbl brewhouse, with a substantial barrel program and seasonal bottle releases.
We’re looking for a passionate and talented brewer to help drive our brewing operations and evolving beer program. Creativity, commitment to quality, work ethic, and attention to detail are essential attributes for this position. The ideal candidate will possess the aspiration, aptitude, and ability to grow into a Head Brewer position.
The Brewer is responsible for all aspects of brewing operations and will participate in the complete process, from beer development, brewing, cellaring, to packaging. Because we are a very small team, the Brewer should expect to take on wide a variety of tasks both within, and occasionally beyond, the scope of brewery operations.
This is not an entry-level position. Candidates must have a minimum of one year professional experience working in wort production, filtration, or cellar work in a brewery or winery.
- Perform regular brewing, cellar, barrel, and packaging operations
- Ensure brewery, cellar, and packaging equipment and facilities are clean, operable, and safe
- Monitor fermentation and maintain barrel program
- Ensure the quality of the beer at every stage of the process
- Enforce operating procedures and safety protocols in all aspects of production
- Participate in operations planning and recipe development
- Develop and pilot small scale experimental recipes
- Maintain accurate inventory, operations and brew logs
- Receive deliveries and manage raw materials
- Occasionally represent the brewery at both internal and external events
- Occasionally support the needs of tasting room and sales functions
- Strong work ethic, sense of urgency, complete tasks in a timely manner
- Obsessive about cleanliness and sanitation in beer production
- Able to multitask, prioritize competing tasks, and work independently
- Apply good judgement and initiative, even in ambiguous situations
- Able to problem-solve while remaining calm, know when to ask for help
- Collaborate and communicate effectively in a team environment
- Behave professionally and represent the values of the company at all times
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, nonverbal, and computer literacy
- Able to continuously stand, walk, bend, kneel, climb, lift, carry and handle at least 70 lbs
- Able to perform labor intensive duties in damp and variable temperature environment, and working with hot, cold and hazardous equipment and materials
- Flexible in schedule, willing to occasionally work weekends and evenings
- Minimum of one year professional experience working in wort production, filtration, or cellar work in a brewery or winery. Three years of experience is preferred
- Strong understanding of wort production, fermentation, and CIP practices
- No specific education qualification, but must have knowledge of brewing fundamentals
- Current commercial or home brewing experience, including with recipe formulation (Candidates may be asked to submit a beer sample)
- Interest and experience with mixed fermentation and barrel-aged beers
- At least 21 years of age
Cleophus Quealy Beer Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, military status or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com